[plug] slowdown probs

Steve Grasso steveg at calm.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 22 14:48:25 WST 2001

John,

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 14:20, John Knight wrote:
> 44? Surely you're kidding!? Why not listen to a scratchy tape at that sort

No I'm not kidding.

> of bitrate!? Unless of course you mean try it as an experiment but even so,

Of course it's an experiment! Reduce the sampling rate to something
ridiculous, if that makes a significant difference to skipping, increase it
again until a workable compromise between skipping/quality is achived for the
hardware and software that's being used.

Slightly reducing the sampling rate made a huge difference to the mp3s pumped
off an Icecast server I had running on a P100 (Debian).

> anything under 128 would be horrible as 128 is bad enough!
>
> >OK, try reducing the sample rate to 44 and see if that makes a difference
> >
> >Steve
[snip]

Combine this with other recent suggestions regarding software. If it doesn't
make a difference, *shrug*

Regards,
Steve