[plug] Installfest 2001 - Announce & Details.

Bret Busby bret at clearsol.iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 23 12:57:23 WST 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Andrew Francis wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

> > If an attachment is unnamed, and, no indication of its nature is given, then,
>
> But the indication was there, in the MIME type. And if you look at the
> actual contents of the attachment (does your email client have a "view as
> plaintext"-like feature?) you'll see
>
>    Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
>    Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

kmail v1.0.29 (for those who do not have kmail installed, and, cannot open the
application, and, have a look), has three options for attachments;
View->
"
Iconic Attachments
Smart Attachments
Inlined Attachments
"
The first option is used, as it is regarded as being the safest, as preventing
mailicious code from being unwittingly executed.

It has thus far been good with the sircam viral messages that I have so far
received.

As stated in the response to the installfest notice, that I posted,
"Using kmail, the attachment was shown simply with a question mark icon, and,
a link with "unnamed"as the text on the link."

Thus, no indication was displayed as to the attachment type.

I am surprised that so few people appear to have any knowledge of kmail, or,
that it is included in Linux; that it is part of the package.

> > it should be regarded as hostile, for system security. Simple.
>
> But you read it anyway, right? :)

No. I am not so silly as to open unknown attachments.

:)

> --
> Andrew Francis
> locust at iinet.net.au