[plug] Web database stuff - Bollocks

Hook hooker at opera.iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 24 06:21:37 WST 2001

Mike Holland wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Mike wrote:
>
> > At 05:53 PM 23/8/2001 +0800, Peter Wright <pete at akira.apana.org.au>
wrote:

> > >Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the
> > >illiterate's form of documentation.  Cavemen drew flowcharts; look how
> > >much good it did them.
> >
> > This is a joke - right ?
>
> I dont think so. Flow-charts went out with paper-tape and mainframes. They
> looked good, but seemed about as useful as a Barry Jones Knowledge-Nation
> chart.
>   Perhaps you are confusing them with more modern charts, like object
> relationship diagrams? Flowcharts are procedural.

So, are you saying that no-one writes procedural code any more? I'd agree
that there are often more useful representations, but they *were* useful, if
arduous to draw. Oh, and mainframes still exist --- ask most banks. IBM
still makes shit-loads of money from them.

The Hooker
(who knows considerably more about this than he feels comfortable with !)