[plug] how do I establish closest rsync mirror?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Aug 26 00:30:25 WST 2001

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 06:29:32PM +0800, Daniel wrote:
> Hi Plug, rsync is just fantastic, but I find myself wondering if there's an
> easy way to establish where all the rsync capable mirrors are.
> I was talking with James at the installfest and he mentioned there was a
> good way to get the most out of it.  Any ideas on this would be greatly
> appreciated.

Yes, that's right. Attached is a simple script I made that uses netselect
and rsync to determine the "best" rsyncable debian mirror, and show you
when it was last updated (roughly). It doesn't discover new rsync servers:
you have to put them in a list. But it does a vey simple test on them.

There are probably a few bugs, and other improvments possible. Feel free to
modify/redistibute, etc.

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to