[plug] Segmentation fault

Clinton Butler misprint at bizzpro.com.au
Sun Aug 26 12:54:40 WST 2001

Peter Wright wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 12:10:01PM +0800, Clinton Butler wrote:
> > This morning we had a power failure and my Debian box was on... it was
> > then turned off by lack of power. The system now refuses to run 'lilo'
> > (as I have just switched the kernel back to 2.2.19_pre17 seeing as it was
> > nice) and comes up with "Segmentation fualt" and puts me back to the prompt.
>
> Um. Let me see if I've got this straight:
>
> 1. Before power failure you were running a Debian Linux box with <unspecified>
> kernel which seemed to be mostly working okay?

<unspecified> = recompiled 2.2.19 (compiled by me and I realised I didn't need
what I put in there.. and it was buggy)

> 2. You had a power failure and thus your system went down without a proper
> shutdown.
>
> 3. When you rebooted you went through the usual exciting process of
> watching with great interest as your disk partition(s) got fscked to make
> sure they're okay.
>
> 4. You finished booting, logged in and your system seemed okay, until...

bingo

> 5. ...you decided to go back to using the 2.2.19_pre17 kernel instead of
> the <unspecified> kernel you were using previously.

see 1

> 6. You went through <unspecified> steps to switch back to 2.2.19_pre17 (which
> I presume included modifying /etc/lilo.conf), then you tried to run
> /sbin/lilo (which reads /etc/lilo.conf and updates the boot block) and you
> got a segmentation fault.

bingo. I just changed the default boot kernel

> Is that pretty much it? Have I/you missed anything?

missed nothing

> > I have no idea what this is... and it seems bad to me.
>
> Seems bad to me too. :)

bugger

--
     _.._    _    Clinton Butler
   ."\__/"./`_\   misprint at bizzpro.com.au
 _/__<__>__\/     Homepage:
`"/_/""""\_\\     N/A until I get Apache up