[plug] xdm

Rob Dunne robd at anville.wa.cmis.csiro.au
Tue Aug 28 09:15:52 WST 2001

Thanks Grahame,
               I tried your sugestion and got

SESSION_MANAGER=local/lycra:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2390
Gdk-WARNING **: init_bw: failed to allocate colors,
falling back to black and white
gnome-smproxy: unable to connect to session manager

which I see is a gnome error (even though I dont understand it).
I then tried kde and got a different message (edited version
at the end in case anyone can understand it).

So I tried twm and it worked!! Could gnome/kde have features
that prevent them displaying on older hardware?

					thanks and bye
						   rob
Grahame Bowland writes:

 > ~/.Xsession and ~/.Xsession-errors should be useful. Try putting "exec
 > /usr/bin/X11/xterm" in .Xsession and then logging in as that user.

 > Cheers,
 > Grahame

#edited kde error message

xset:  bad font path element (#3), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "xterm.dunne:0.0".
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
QSocketNotifier: Multiple socket notifiers for same socket 6 and type read
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "xterm.dunne:0.0".