[plug] Quake 2 problems

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 29 15:14:44 WST 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 07:49:43PM +0800, Clinton Butler wrote:
> okay.. anyone got experience with Quake 2 and setting it up under debian?

I have.

> I have untared the files by instructions stated on
> "http://www.linuxgames.com/quake/Quake-HOWTO-3.html" and this is what
> happens.

One thing first - are you intending to use hardware acceleration?
If so, have you got your video card working and doing pretty 3d-accelerated
stuff in XWindows?

I recommend using Tuxracer (http://www.tuxracer.com/) as a good 3d testing
system ("apt-get install tuxracer tuxracer-data") :)

Then, in order to get Q2 working _properly_ I strongly recommend grabbing
the Q2Hack by Zinx:

http://staff.xmms.org/zinx/q2hack/

All I can say is, this guy is a legend. My Q2 was unusable without this
(which was a bugger, as I'd actually _paid_ for the Linux version (in a
local retail outfit, what's more! ;)).

> I did the "ls -L' so that you can see what files I have in the
> directory... it says "LoadLibrary("ref_softx.so") failed: File not
> found"

I'm not surprised, since it doesn't look like it's there. :)

> butit's in the directory..

Is it?

> or do I have to move the file.. or
> create a symbolic link elsewhere?

I can't see ref_softx.so in the directory listing you've given below.

> (begin)
> [root at excalibur:/usr/local/games/quake2]$ls -L
> 3.20_Changes.txt  libGL.so          quake2
> DOCS              libMesaGL.so
> quake2-3.20-glibc-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.
> README            libMesaGL.so.2
> quake2-3.20-i386-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz
> baseq2            libMesaGL.so.2.6  quake2.conf
> lib3dfxgl.so      license.txt       readme.txt
> [root at excalibur:/usr/local/games/quake2]$./quake2 +set vid_ref softx
> Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
> Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
> execing default.cfg
> couldn't exec config.cfg
> Console initialized.
>
> ------- sound initialization -------
> sound sampling rate: 11025
> ------------------------------------
> LoadLibrary("ref_softx.so") failed: File not found
> Refresh failed
> recursive shutdown
> Error: Couldn't fall back to software refresh!
> (end)

Well, this is the (approximate) line I use to run quake2 with 3d
acceleration:

./quake2 +set vid_ref glx +set gl_driver libGL.so +set _windowed_mouse 1

Of course, I also have the following four files in my quake2 directory,
while you seem to be lacking all four:

ref_gl.so
ref_glx.so
ref_soft.so
ref_softx.so

You will need the at least the ref_softx.so file in your quake2 directory
to be able to run with software rendering. But software rendering isn't all
that fantastic for quake2.

>      _.._    _    Clinton Butler

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
"Being disintegrated makes me ve-ry an-gry!" <huff, huff>