[plug] Keyboard errors in Xfree86 4.1.0 (freebsd 4.4-PRERELEASE)

Clinton Butler misprint at bizzpro.com.au
Wed Aug 29 21:35:10 WST 2001

I friend of mine has just updated his system and this is his problem...
it's going to be pasted from an IRC history... so forgive anything that
is not quite right.

<Zeus_> ok, freebsd 4.4-PRERELEASE... Xfree86 4.1.0
<Zeus_> ok.. so the problem is this:
<Zeus_> i log into X with xdm...
<Zeus_> it starts fine
<Zeus_> the window manager starts fine
<Zeus_> but.. after 5mins - 1/2 hr... the keyboard stops working
<Zeus_> the mouse still works...
<Zeus_> but i cant type anything...
<Zeus_> numlock wont even change status
<Zeus_> the only way to fix it is to telnet in remotely and kill -9 xdm
and restart xdm
<Zeus_> cheap-o ps2 keyboard
<Zeus_> its worked fine up until now
<Zeus_> I've tried specifying a few different keyboard types in the x
configuration file
<Zeus_> and it hasn't helped at all
<Zeus_> it always behaves the same
<Zeus_> I've tried different window managers to see if that could be the
problem, but its not
<Zeus_> I've re-generated the xfree86 config file multiple times... and
that didn't help
<Zeus_> i think it's a software conflict... but i cant for the life of
me find what the conflict is
<Zeus_> just before it stopped working, i updated all the installed apps
to the latest version
<Zeus_> that's really about it

well here is all the detail I could get out of him.. I cut out my words
to him cos they just wouldn't go down right.. I was just asking him
repeatedly to give more detail :oP

any help would be most appreciated.

--
     _.._    _    Clinton Butler