[plug] stupid newbie question

Tim cawdor9 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 01:00:07 WST 2001

Hi all,

this is my first post so please don't flame me for asking stupid newbie
questions :) Anyway I got sick of Window$ and finally took the time to try
out Mandrake 8. Installation went ok and I started to play around in KDE. I
have a CD with Linux goodies so I wanted to take a look at it but after
about one hour of fiddling and reading help files I gave up trying to find
a way to access my cdrom. My two cd drives seem to already be mounted,
there are /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 directories, but they are locked
(whatever that means). when I click on them, I get a message saying that I
don't have privileges to read that directory, even when I log in as admin.
Can someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how I can access my
cdrom? I looked it up in the hardware section and it is displayed as /dev/hdc
If you need any more info in order to help me please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

looking forward to a crash free existence,

Tim

oh btw I live in Canning Vale, anybody in my neighbourhood?