[plug] Debian upgrade

craig at postnewspapers.com.au craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Dec 6 15:20:42 WST 2001

> One thing I have found is that sometimes the iinet mirror (is this the only
> one in Perth?) is slow to get updated.  This can be a pain if it there ends
> up being a broken version of something on there.  On the main Debian site
> they usually fix anything that's wrong within a day or so.

ftp://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian

and iinet has a debian mirror!?! I'm with iiNet at work (ADSL)
and I've been using mirror.aarnet.edu.au and frp.uwa.edu.au (screams).

That said, the mirror on aarnet is really badly maintained. Packages.gz
for sid gets updated before all the new packages have been downloaded,
and old packages are deleted before the new ones have been made
available. Frustrating, especially for of all places the aarnet
mirror! Don't try to download their woody cdimages either, they seem to
be rebuilt at some time during the night, overwriting the eariler image.
So unless you've got a REALLY fast connection and know when they do the
switch, you're likely to get 3/4 of a cd image.