[plug] Postfix SMTP server: errors from adsl-64-175-114-156.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net[64.175.114.156] (fwd)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Dec 6 16:37:21 WST 2001

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Jason Belcher wrote:

> Looks like "adsl-64-175-114-156.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net[64.175.114.156]"
> was trying to use your mail server as on open relay to send mail from
> "preyoubaby at hotpop.com" to "steven76 at netzero.net". Probably someone
> trying to use you as a spam-relay. Your mail server refused to relay the
> message,

Thanks, people.

I had forwarded the postfix message to abuse at pacbell.net, asking them to
take action against the people responsible, as I assumed it to be an
attempted security breach, but I sought clarification of what was
happening. Attempting to use us for relaying spam, is to me, still an
attempted security breach, so I believe that I took the appropriate
action.

I will now do the same again, in future, in response to any further such
messages - we have had a few such messages in the last month or so.

--
Bret Busby