[plug] Sid

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Dec 10 23:21:14 WST 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Adrian Woodley wrote:

> G'Day,
>          Whats everyone's opinion on Debian Sid? Is it worth taking the
> plunge and using it on my desktop?

That depends on how well you know the Debian package system.
Things are still likely to be broken, but I have yet to come across a
problem I couldn't fix with judicious use of dpkg, and the occasional
edit of /var/lib/dpkg/info/<packagename>.postinst

> My biggest concern is my slow
> connection and the refresh rate of the packages - ie lots to download
> and not much to do it with.

I run sid at home, and my connection to the 'net is a 33.6k modem... I
don't keep it up-to-date on a daily basis though, I only tend to install
packages when I want the latest version of something, or a bug has been
reported on debian-security-announce. Then I just apt-get install that
package, and let apt install whatever else it needs. If a whole bunch of
libs have been upgraded in the meantime and the download is going to be
tens of megabytes, I let it d/l overnight.

The -d flag tells apt to download only, not install, so if you are
uncertain about the stability of what you are about to install, you can
let it download overnight, and then babysit the install the next day.

 - Matt