[plug] way back in time

Steven Vertigan steve at vertigan.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 12 18:09:44 WST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 10:22, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Oh, and StarCraft runs OK under Wine (even without a real Windoze partition),

It does?  I've got it to run but it's slow to the point of unuseable.
I've even followed the advice in the howto and made it run in a seperate
instance of X which is only 256 color and a low resolution but it was
still like using a mouse which had been bogged in quicksand.
Frustrating because although I've only got a P200 it's an old game and
the howto says it should run on a P75!  Has anyone gotten acceptable
performance from a slow machine like mine?

> although LAN networking doesn't seem to work unless you run it as root
> (root+wine=ugh!) - still haven't solved that problem (although I haven't
> checked the latest WINEs)

I *think* I read something about having to change your IPX settings if
you wanted to talk to windows clients but the memory grows foggy at this
point.

Regards,
Steve