[plug] Heatsink/Fan

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Dec 12 21:15:11 WST 2001

I've been getting most of my cooling stuff from below-0 (www.below-0.com) in
Queensland (you should be able to get most stuff from them within 2 days or
so, provided they have stock).

If you use one of those Global WIN heatsinks/fans, then get some thermal
paste to put on it, as the poor excuse for a thermal pad is, to put it
plainly, crap.  By putting just thermal paste on a FOP38, the temp of a 1.33
T-Bird dropped by 10 degrees.

I'm running a Thermosonic Thermoengine heatsink with a 60mm 7000rpm Delta
fan on it on my Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4Ghz) and its keeping fairly cool (pretty
much same temps as my Athlon T-Bird 1.2Ghz).  It seems that with new CPUs
(P4s or Athlons) at the moment you have to get some fairly heavy cooling on
them and they are usually fairly noisy as a result.

The type of case and power supply are also factors in how cool your CPU is
going to keep.  Power supplies with the main intake vent just above the CPU
(for tower cases) are the best ones.

/ Ben