[plug] New debian kernel

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Mon Dec 17 18:56:36 WST 2001

Hi all,

After seeing the praises of debian I had to get a copy myself and give it a
go.  Install was wonderful and info galore provided.  A bit of a read on
apt-get and new packages are going in like a dream.
Being the adventurous type I am keen to give ext3 a go as this box will be
my server and running 24/7 and prone to power outages.  Step 1 was to
"recompile your kernel (2.4.16 and up)"
All smooth sailing until I was told -
"As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to add an
'initrd=/initrd' in your /etc/lilo.conf "  I drop that line in a variety of
places in lilo.conf, then run /sbin/lilo and get the error "Fatal: /initrd:
neither a reg. file nor a block dev. "
I cannot help but think I need to add more to that line - but not sure of
exactly what?  After searching google, every reference points to an img,
but I'm not sure of where to find the image and exactly what to do with it.
Or am I jumping ahead, and should just put that line in lilo and not run
/sbin/lilo?
Most documentation refers to RH or other versions of linux.  Is there a
specific debian kernel upgrade guide/howto floating around in cyberspace
somewhere?

Eagerly awaiting the next step forward :)

regards,
   Nathan

.  natdan at pobox.com .     /     \
.  Western  Australia  .  -> \_,-._/