[plug] Archiving mail

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Dec 18 14:59:32 WST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Richard Barnes wrote:

> I have just done a clean install of Mandrake 8.1 and I'm using Kmail, which
> accesses the pop account on my Isp's server directly, and I was wondering
> where to start in configuring an automated periodic archiving of my mail to a
> separate backup partition (fat 32, but no OS on it). I have looked through
> the kmail help but can find no reference to archiving. I just need to know
> which how-to's or online sources to look at, or any tips anyone may have on
> this subject.

You can use procmail to make a backup of all incomming MAIL like this:
------
MONTHFOLDER=`date +%Y-%m`
BASE_PATH='/path/to/maildir'

:0 Wic
* ? test ! -d ${BASE_PATH}/${MONTHFOLDER}
| mkdir ${BASE_PATH}/${MONTHFOLDER}

:0 c
${BASE_PATH}/${MONTHFOLDER}/All-Mail
------

This will make a directory with the name "/path/to/maildir/2001-12 And place
ALL you mail there.

You can then zip that at will.

Should work in theory.

Yours Tony.