[plug] DTP Software

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Tue Dec 18 16:46:55 WST 2001

> On Tuesday 18 December 2001 16:17, craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:
> > This frustrates me no end as I work at a newspaper. F**ING Quark isn't
> > even available for MacOS X yet :-(
>
> If it was, 'twould be a relatively tiny step from there to a Linux/*BSD
> version.

Despite the "OSX==BSD" hype, a Linux port of an OSX program is not just a
matter of a recompile. I think you would find that the porting effort would
still be large - A fresh OSX port would be written for Cocoa, not GTK/QT/X;
and on a program like Quark, the UI programming would be ~90% of the effort.

Unless Apple has plans to provide a Cocoa porting layer for X (and I
wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Jobs to announce one), Apple programs
won't be running under Linux any time soon (without major porting, anyway).

My suggestion - use LaTeX. Ascii text files, clean and powerful syntax, no
macro viruses, and a beautiful output at the end of the day. Downside -
there is a bit of a learning curve.

If you desperately need a GUI, try LyX.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia