[plug] RE: Linux Ghosting from a small hard drive to a large one?

Daniel cottmain at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 19 11:17:40 WST 2001

Hi, how about the following (from my far from expert point of view)-
-Create the partitions on the larger hard disk [maybe put the 20g in as
Primary master and leave the other disconnected for safety for
now.  Pretend to install linux, booting from Mandrake 8.1 cd1 and exiting
after partition info written to disk, but before progressing any further]
-Put the 6g back as primary master and then mount the other drive
-Copy the other stuff across to the correct partitions.
-If you are running grub you should be fine, if you are running lilo you
will need to boot to a boot disk and run lilo to tell it where to find the
kernel (is it 'lilo -e -e'?).

If you want to try the Norton Ghost approach it is 'buyware' and probably
works best with ext2(standard linux) partitions.  I think you will still
need to resize partitions afterwards.

A linux solution might be http://www.partimage.org/, but the first seems
the simplest.
Daniel.