[plug] DTP Software

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Wed Dec 19 13:04:16 WST 2001

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 19:30, Christian wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 04:46:55PM +0800, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> > My suggestion - use LaTeX. Ascii text files, clean and powerful syntax,
> > no macro viruses, and a beautiful output at the end of the day. Downside
> > - there is a bit of a learning curve.
> >
> > If you desperately need a GUI, try LyX.
>
> Much as I love LaTeX and LyX, they aren't DTP by a long stretch.

The thing to notice here is that most things in the Linux world are published
using SGML. When people talk about DTP then they mostly want a WYSIWIG word
processor with advanced layout features.

Lyx is not WYSIWIG but it is a powerful publishing tool. Note though that Lyx
is contrib (in Debian speak) and requires a non-free library called
libforms0.89 which I understand you have to purchase a license for commercial
use (at least that's the way I read the licence agreement - correct me if I'm
wrong).

It really depends on what Frank wants to achieve. If he wants a word
processor then StarOffice seems to be the best thing I've seen so far. Note
that StarOffice 6.0 doesn't appear to work with X version 4 (at least on my
machine). If he wants to publish stuff then Lyx or SGML would be best. If he
wants to do advanced layout then as far as I know he's puckered.

Anthony