XF86 4 savage driver (was Re: [plug] DTP Software)

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Dec 19 22:52:23 WST 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:41:05PM +0800, Anthony Jones wrote:
> It manages to completely lock my computer when running the following version
> of X. X just starts gobbling up memory and then the whole machine freezes.
> This is the version which comes with Debian Woody. It works on my machine
> (across the network) with XFree86 version 3.3. The problem may be specific to
> the savage driver (for my Savage IV card).

I have a Savage card and had the same problem a while ago. The
latest Savage driver has fixed the issue. I'm using it with my
Savage chipset and apart from being a lil' slow (in need of more RAM
- 256MB just aint enough with 'doze sucking half of it) StarOffice
runs beautifully. Will have to try OpenOffice from all the good
things i've heard.

But anyway, grab the latest Savage driver from
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html

The only thing that still doesnt quite work yet under X 4.x is
VMWare's full screen mode. But the Savage driver author is sliding
to blame VMware and XFree86 4 itself - from the page:

"I am told that VMWare 2.0 still does not work in fullscreen.  I
believe I was told that VMWare does not correctly handle DGA 2.0 as
included in XFree86 version 4.  Thus, for now, I think this is a
VMWare problem.  If someone can tell me convincingly that VMWare 2.0
works in fullscreen on SOME XFree86 4.0 hardware, I will put it on
my list."

Can anybody say otherwise?

Regards,

Bernard.