[plug] Debian Disks and Linux Magazines

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Thu Dec 20 00:08:55 WST 2001

[ snip anthony quite justifiably expressing unhappiness about LJ's 29%
  delivery failure rate to him ]

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 12:38:14AM -0800, russ powers wrote:
> I subscribe to lj too and have the same complaint. But the magazine is
> very good when it does get delivered.  ;)

I haven't had any trouble losing issues - at least I don't think, I don't
keep track of it as closely as I used to :) - but there is one feature of a
Linux Journal subscription which is really really cool (and means that I
don't really give a damn how late my copy arrives :) -

They make ALL issues available online to subscribers. Not just the last few
months. Not just the last few years. Every single one, right back to the
very first issue on *checks site* March 1994.

A snippet from the LJI page ( http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/ ) once
you've logged in using your subscriber ID:

  We are pleased to introduce you to Linux Journal Interactive. LJI
  features every article from all issues of Linux Journal. Search for your
  favorite article by simply clicking on the Search button, located on the
  top of this page. You can also find your favorite articles by browsing
  the Table of Contents -- button is located on the tool bar on the left.

I tend to check the site every so often and as soon as a new issue is out I
just read it online. I like to get the hardcopy too, of course (lots more
interesting ads :), but I have no problems reading on a computer screen
(yes, I know many people do have problems with this, and I do _try_ to feel
sympathy for you, really I do :).

> russ

Anthony, Russ, others, if you didn't know about LJI, have a look at

http://interactive.linuxjournal.com/

and get yourself a logon ID and password. You'll need your subscriber ID
(which is on the little sticker on the plastic wrapping of the magazine
when you _do_ receive it ;-) to authorise yourself.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Real Programmers don't write in FORTRAN.  FORTRAN is for pipe stress freaks and
crystallography weenies.  FORTRAN is for wimp engineers who wear white socks.