[plug] isp

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Dec 20 07:22:16 WST 2001

On Thursday 20 December 2001 04:19, Hook wrote:
> Anthony Jones wrote:
>> They are basically charging you for these things because they've got the
>> power to deny you these things. I understand that WAIX traffic is yet
>> another thing that they don't pay for but users do.

> A common misconception. WAIX traffic isn't free to iiNet. There's the cost
> of the pipe, the equipment cost and the cost of housing and running the
> equipment. Had you said that it cost less than bringing it in through uunet
> (for example) you'd probably have been right - but free it ain't

Disagree. You are only looking at one small part of the situation, and a
slightly wider focus gives a completely different picture. If iiNet had to
get data from (e.g.) an EfTel or AARNet mirror via Telstra rather than WAIX,
it would cost them over 10c a megabyte (likely around 15c). The amortised
cost to them of WAIX must be well under a cent for each megabyte they get
through it, so for each megabyte they fetch through it the cost is *minus* at
least 9c.

Cheers; Leon