[plug] OS chimera revisited

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Dec 21 09:51:19 WST 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:47:22AM +0800, Nathan Alberti wrote:
> The device should be /dev/hdx where x is "a" for you primary master, "b" for
> your primary slave, "c" for your secondary master or "d" for your secondry
> slave disk.
>
> E.g.  fsck /dev/hda

And

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:20, Richard Hardy wrote:
> Inode 227841 has image flag set.
> /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck

Can you do this? I always thought you had to refer to the exact
partition that is giving you issues with fsck.   From the
original message it appears that your / filesystem is the culprit.
So assuming your root filesystem is mounted (hopefully it is,
hopefully in read-only mode), to find out which _device_ is your root
file system, type "cat /etc/fstab".

Look for a line that says something like:
/dev/hda5	/		ext2	defaults    0 1
               ^^^
where the second part is simply "/". The first part is what you need
to fsck. So from my line above on my machine, I would type

fsck /dev/hda5

Just to clarify,
> > skribe wrote:
> > Just follow the instructions. When it gets to this point type in your root
> > password and then at the prompt type in:
> > fsck /dev/<whatever drive is giving you trouble>

> so at (Repair filesystem) 1 #      I typed: fsck /dev/c

Drives in Linux refer to the disks and their partitions. As Nathan
explained, the physical drives themselves are called hda, hdb, etc.
Each one of these can contain numerous partitions. These are usually
something like hda1, hda5, hda6, hda7, etc. Each one of these
contains part of your filesystem, depending on your - /etc/fstab will
show them all to you.

If one of these gives you issues, you need to fsck the right one.
(Or all of them and just hope that one of them was the right one :)

And as Leon said, if you convert your filesystem to ext3 then you
can begone with these kinda hassles for good!

> ???? mmm. well, I suspect that all seems quite straight forward to a lot of
> people out there. Wot?

The /dev/c seems like remnants from a life from the dark side ;)
Sorry to make this probably longer than it needs to be but I hope
I've explained something useful. (which probably exists in a howto
somewhere...)

HTH,

Bernard.

--