[plug] Is MS up to it's old tricks?

Clinton Butler misprint at bizzpro.com.au
Sun Dec 23 10:46:21 WST 2001

> Has anyone notice those people who've used WindowsXP on their networks
> have been rigorously hit with DNS requests from Microsoft machines?
>
> The offending IPs are :-
> 207.68.131.17 (a MSN address)
> 207.46.106.84 (sjwu3dns1.windowsupdate.com)

I think it has something to do with it's "anti-piracy feature".
I heard something about this thing, apparently if you use a CD-R more
than once on an XP machine, XP will lock up and not allow you back in
again. What I was wondering was.... does it do the same if it's a CD-R
of XP !? I heard that the OS sends the data about the "pirated" software
and the system details to storage with Microsoft. I don't fully
understand... but I am still trying to shed _some_ light