[plug] side by side

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Dec 23 11:41:35 WST 2001

Computer Clinic had a small but nice Linux win on Friday.

A particular client of CC has been steadfast on NT for everything server
barring their Pick (now RainingData) D3 server. They've had an IBM NetFinity
sit quietly in their office and give trouble-free (reboot-free, if they
hadn't changed some key things) D3 operation with Linux for several years,
and alongside it an NT box which has given them an unending stream of mystery
problems, and recently (a few weeks ago) been savagely eroded by a virus.

On Friday, I was called in to discuss replacing the NT server. I even got a
positive response to the idea of Linux-based thin clients as a planning path,
despite the fact that their NT box gave them so much pain that they went to
the trouble of moving the applications and data _away_ from it and onto the
workstation boxes.

The ``nice'' aspect is watching this coming for over a year now, and finally
having it come to pass. Very satisfying. (-:

Cheers; Leon