[plug] Lindows

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Dec 24 15:00:00 WST 2001

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 02:40:17PM +0800, Ryan wrote:
> For those that don't monitor ZDNet news:
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5100957,00.html?chkpt=zdnnt122101ts
> *woop woop woop*  Go Lindows!

It was discussed on Slashdot recently, too. I find myself (very
reluctantly) agreeing with most of the posters there that the Lindows case
looks pretty poor, actually. They're using a phonetically _very_ similar
name, and they're explicitly trying to market a operating system product
that they hope can be very close to a drop-in replacement for a legacy
operating system product called Microsoft Windows.

Plus, there's also the minor detail that if you don't defend a trademark
against violation, you can get screwed later on. Microsoft actually didn't
have much of a choice here - other than to make some sort of effort to
resolve the situation without the legal shit. I hope Lindows and Michael
Robertson just milk the publicity around the situation for all they can get
and then change the name enough to make trademark violation no longer an
issue.

Because I don't really think it's a case they can (or should) win.

> Ryan

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/

--
Your mouse has moved.  Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect.  Reboot now?