[plug] OS chimera revisited

Richard Hardy rhardy at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 24 17:52:32 WST 2001

At 13:10 21/12/01 +0800, you wrote:
>On Friday 21 December 2001 12:33, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> On Friday 21 December 2001 11:14, Steve Grasso wrote:
>> > but not while fsck /dev/hda5 is mounted on / as it's likely to be.
>> > Running fsck on a mounted file system isn't to be recommended. Better to
>> > boot from a floppy to fsck the root partition.
>>
>> Generally, the root partition is mounted readonly at this point, which is
>> OK. The big risk in fsck'ing a live partition is that an app and fsck will
>> disagree about what's been written where.
>>
>>And even then, it's only a risk, not a guarantee of failure.
>
>Which on a desktop might be an acceptable risk to take. Personally, I
>wouldn't fsck a mounted partition on a production machine unless I had no
>alternative. YMMV
>
>Regards,
>Steve
>
>Seasons greetings and many thanks to those who offered advice, some of
which, I even, partly, understood. My aplogies for slow reply, but have had
problem with connecting; may have a machine problem as well as linux.

fsck /dev/hdb produced an interesting screen:(brief
summary follows):

Oops: 0000
Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing.
-
-

Fortunately, my dearly beloved bought me a RH7.2 package for Christmas.
This may satisfy the ext3 filesystem suggestion. From there, it is only a
matter of further regular ingestion of FAQ, Howto, manual, ethylOH, faith,
hope and charity for comprehension levels to improve.

Happy Christmas and God rest ye merry gentlepluggers.

Cheers dears