[plug] firewall rules

John Breen locutus at borg.apana.org.au
Wed Dec 26 08:03:37 WST 2001

Help!

I'm in the (continuing) process of setting up a linux firewall box, and I'm
just fishing for some advice.

The box is running Debian 2.2r3 (with updates), so it's running a 2.2
kernel.  I've got the firewall more or less working, but I want to make it
a bit more secure and stuff.  My main concern is that I need to have the
firewalling start up when the box starts up.  I guess I can do this with a
simple shell script in the /etc/init.d dir and then use that from rcx.d to
start it up, right?

The other question I have is that there must be better rules than I
currently have?  Right now, the default is that everything is
Accepted,  then stuff from my LAN is masqueraded.  That's a pretty big
security hole, isn't it?

Any suggestions, offers of help, etc...

Cheers,

JB