[plug] Linux on a laptop - Toshiba 100CS

Darrell Horrocks darrellh at kpbg.wa.gov.au
Thu Dec 27 10:15:52 WST 2001

Hi All, and best wishes of the season.

I've been given this laptop as the battery doesn't charge and the
keyboard is stuffed (partially).  So the questions for you knowledge
able pluggers are:

1) Does anyone actually have one of these laptops?  I would love to
either buy a working keyboard, or use it to make sure that the problem
is actually the keyboard before I fork out more money.  An external
keyboard works fine.

2) If I can't get a keyboard, is there a way to get Linux to replace, on
the fly, a combination of two Characters with one?  The laptop puts in
6m when you press the m key.  I want to be able to replace the 6m with an m.

(And now for something completely different)
3) I want to do some basic analysis on network traffic.  All I want to
do is drop a Linux box near the router without any other disruption to
the network.  What packages should I use to measure internet usage and
also internal traffic (novell) to get an idea of where traffic is going?
 Any HOWTOs or other references gratefully received.

Cheers all, and I hope that you all had a great Xmas.

Darrell