[plug] From 'Perl Query...'

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Thu Feb 1 11:20:44 WST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:11:42AM +0000, Kevin Shackleton wrote:
> So how do normal people pick up Perl?

> Programming Perl (3rd Edition) -- Larry Wall, et al; (Camel)
> Learning Perl (2nd Edition) -- Randal L. Schwartz, et al; (South
> American camelish thing)
> Learning Perl/Tk: Graphical User Interfaces with Perl (O'Reilly
> Nutshell) -- Nancy Walsh (emu?)
>
> The Camel seems to be the traditional reference, but what are the others
> like?  Or is there something better?

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before so it might be
worth checking the archives too.  My advice is get "Learning Perl" and,
once you've mastered that, get "Advanced Perl Programming" if you feel
you want to take it even further.  The camel book is basically just a
reference book with very little more than you'll get from the perl*
manual pages.