[plug] Webcam, apache, email, StarOffice

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Feb 2 09:15:56 WST 2001

Scott wrote:

> i was doing some checking up today and it seems there hasn't been any
> drivers written for my particular brand of webcam(serves me right for doing
> it cheap). The logitech site says stay tuned for linux drivers but i wont
> hold my breath.

Install a 2.4.* kernel and try a generic driver. It worked for my Sony
DSC-F505 digital camera on a 2.4.0pre kernel (and now they've backported
the appropriate block-storage driver to 2.2.19), and it may work for
you. I used (surprise) a Mandrake 7.2 distro.

> I need my server to eventually do:
> Apache

Now, there's a toughie... installed out of the box (well, off the CD)
including SSL, PHP, PERL, db interfaces (and choice of two matching SQL
and two non-SQL db systems), numerous other modules, on Mdk7.2.

> Local mail and internet mail

Ditto (PostFix, highly efficient and secure).

> Samba file server

Ditto, although it's an *exceptionally* good idea to do some security
config before starting it.

> WebCam

Spot the odd one out. )-:

> Win4Lin I need office i can't be bothered retraining my staff to use Star
> office.

Retraining's not hard. I do appreciate all of the fiddly little details
(for example, I normally use StarOffice, so when I go to change a page's
format under MS-Office, I first try the Format menu, then realise that
(for hysterical reasons) the appropriate menu item is in the File
menu...) but the differences are very small unless you're heavily into
macros, in which case you'll get what you deserve... (-:

You forgot firewalling, which you *will* need if it's internet-exposed.

Cheers.