[plug] OT: Celeron vs Athlon

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Feb 2 09:25:51 WST 2001

Duron is market-comparable with Celeron, Athlon with P-III or P-IV.

Dennis Plester wrote:

> I went Duron because I had a very tight cash window, which Duron and m/board
> could fit through, but the Athlon couldn't...The $150 difference paid for a
> fair chunk of the new motherboard.

If the MoBos cost about the same for either Celeron or Duron, I'd go for
the Duron becuase it's faster and AMD is nominally the underdog. If I
was interested in overclocking, I'd go for the Duron because it
stretches better than the Celerons.

If the choice was Athlon or Duron, I'd get the Duron and put the savings
into more RAM, which would make a much bigger difference to everyday
life than an extra 10% clock speed.