[plug] Redhat-lilo

Ian Kent ian.kent at pobox.com
Sun Feb 4 23:04:39 WST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 05:33:01PM -0800, Liam wrote:
> hey,
> i just got me a copy of redhat7 deluxe the other day to run with win98 on dual boot(i was using win98 and mandrake7.2 before), and i did a standard custom install and it said the install went correctly, so i rebooted and lilo didnt load on boot and all that came up was "stage1". then i tried and workstation class install and the same thing happend, then i tried a text install and same thing happend, i know a rackspace(www.rackspace.com) sysadmin, he said that lilo wasnt picking windows up as a bootable drive or soemthing so it was borking it, and ideas ?

The 'stage1' message is comming from grub, not lilo.
Lilo is probably trying to merge the existing boot block with the new and not actually putting the boot block you want on it.

Have you used your boot floppy to get the machine up and then run lilo. That should fix the problem.I have changed RH7 <--> Mandrake 7.2 several times recently without undue problem.