[plug] File Size limit

Kim Covil kimc at zydeco.ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Feb 9 11:43:18 WST 2001

> I think there is an option with tar, (-M), which allows you to make
> multi-volume archives of files. I've never done this, but if you broke it
> into 4 X 1.75 Gb lumps, you would be in business.. Might work, and would be
> fairly elegant solution.. (IF it works)..  :^)=

If I remember the multi-volume option to tar just expects you to change
the media each time... ie it uses the same file name for each volume if you
are tarring to a file...

my usual technique is to run

tar cf - <files and directories to tar> | split --bytes=2048m - tarfilename.tar.

which should create tarfilename.tar.aa, tarfilename.tar.ab ...

to extract again
cat tarfilename.tar.* | tar xf - [<files and directories to extract>]

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Kim

Kim Covil - CSIRO Exploration & Mining   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            Western Australia  6009      Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
                                                               *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at covil.com.au