[plug] zsh vs bash

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Fri Feb 9 13:11:01 WST 2001

Hello,

On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 12:55:17PM +0800, Christian wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 11:24:57AM +0800, Mike Holland wrote:
> >    What do PLUG members use?
> > Anyone know both well enough to give a verdict?
> >   Is zsh obsolete? Or is this a vi/emacs kind of thing?
>
> I used bash initially just because that was there and after fiddling
> with tcsh for a while decided that bash was far superior for interactive
> use.  What interactive features does zsh have?  (In particular, what
> does it have that bash doesn't?)

Read an interview with the Korn shell author on Slashdot. He outlines the
strengths of ksh:

	http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/02/06/2030205&mode=thread

FYI, I use bash cause that's what my RH system comes configured with by
default. I have used tcsh (mainly because we had an assignment based on it at
Uni) and I must agree with Christian that bash is far better for both
interactive and scripting. I haven't used zsh.

Regards,

Jason Nicholls