[plug] voodoo 3 and PCI GeForce

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Mon Feb 12 08:58:23 WST 2001

Clint wrote:

"I recently invested in a grforce2 mx video card, and due to the fact that I
have a brand name computer (bad choice on my behalf), I had to buy a PCI
version. The computer has an onboard voodoo 3, and wehn I tried to install
Red HAt 7, firstoly anaconda would not run, so I had to use the text
install. Secondly, when it cam time to configuire X, it detected a Geforce
DDR, but during the testing phase resulted in an error. I trien usin
Xconfigurator after installation, as well as the drivers from Nvidia's web
site, but all that detected was my Voodoo 3. I also tried using xf86config,
but also to no avail. Could anyone please help me with this .. as my brain
has gone numb trying to figuire out how to get around it."
After reading this, and the various suggestions from others, which to be
honest sound scary, why not try downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia
(www.nvidia.com), and set them up, following the instructions at
www.evil3d.net <http://www.evil3d.net>  (in the articles section - thanks
again Hooli!), for your distribution. When it gets to the bit where you edit
the X config file (for 4.0.1/2, not 3.3.6), make sure you change the
reference "nv" to "nvidia" as the article suggests, and also remove or at
least comment out the references to your on board voodoo 3. I suspect this
will then make X fire up only seeing the Geforce, and you'll have the
Geforce 3d acceleration working to boot. I haven't tried this myself, but it
should work. Perhaps someone else out there knows? Surely this would be
better than the yanking out your hard drive option, particularly if Clint
doesn't have a second PC to put the drive into. I would also recommend
trying Mandrake 7.2 over Red Hat 7.0, but that is purely a personal opinion.
Hope this helps.
Dennis.