[plug] zsh vs bash

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Feb 12 14:04:57 WST 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, The Thought Assassin wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Mike Holland wrote:

> > > Spelling Correction                  N    N    N    N    Y    Y    N    N
> > Does bash still lack such a cool feature?
>
> Bash has this feature, but I think it is disabled by default in most
> distributions.

Bash has this feature for "cd" only, and doesn't ask for confirmation
(which makes it even more scary)

live:/# shopt -s cdspell
live:/# cd etcc
etc
live:/etc#

> I found it a little scary when I used it - I just can't
> trust a shell that doesn't do exactly what I tell it to.

That's how I felt about it.

One feature I've gotten quite fond of in bash that I wouldn't want to do
without, and any shell I were to switch to really needs to have, is the
ability to search through the history interactively (with the ^r key)

Also (tab-) completion of file names, command names, usernames,
variable names AND hostnames

 - Matt