[plug] Linux in _home_ education

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Mon Feb 12 19:18:50 WST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 04:19:29PM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Biggest problem faced is compatibility:
> 	Kids will want to share files with compatriots, supervisors etc. if not
> using the same machine etc.  In the education world compatibility means
> M$Office, on Mac's or PC's.  There are also the games and utilities that
> kids use and share.  You will have lost the war if you depend on the
> Linux utilities that are available to convert back and forward.

Maybe if you explain to them that it is the Windows people who are
incompatible with closed file formats they use...  Seems a good way to
impress upon them the importance of open standards at an early age and
kids tend to buy into that sort of thing (in the same way most kids tend
to adopt their parents political leanings).

> Second problem is who will do the SysAdmin:
> 	Kids should focus on learning - the youngest have a big enough problem
> learning the 3r's without having to fight with a difficult environment.
> I know, unix style logins, permissions etc. just don't cut it with the
> young unless someone older and knowledgeable is there ***ALL*** the

You're right that system administration is an issue but not necessarily
a problem.  It would seem logical that the parent handle this (if
possible) and let the child remain a user.  As for children struggling
with the Unix environment, I remember reading an article that suggested
that children actually were able to pick up Linux much faster than
adults *provided* they had not been exposed to ("conditioned"?) Windows
previously.  It was stated that the children learning Linux picked it up
at least as fast as those learning Windows.  I also recall there being a
programme in Mexico were schools were being provided with lots of cheap
hardware running Linux for the purposes of teaching.  I wonder what the
outcome of that has been...