[plug] Mailbox mystery

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Mon Feb 12 19:50:37 WST 2001

> Bonus points for speed of response though. :-)

Shocked - I never received the original post on my machine.... Even
stranger, is sewed on the bottom of Matt's reply which I did receive dated
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:16:31 +0800 (WST) was 2.1kb of nulls - ^@ followed by
the bottom half of Christian's post, dated Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:18:50 +0800
which I didn't receive either (I only have this because I'm subscribed on
sparkie too...). Another one of Christian's posts came out like this too,
attached to the end of Richard Sharpe's. (Confused yet? :P)

Basically the first 2821 bytes of one and 1975 bytes of another of
Christian's posts have been chewed into \000's. I could swear I remember
it happened once before a while back, but I never bothered to investigate
it. Now it's happened twice tonight.

Our mail is collected by a Linux server sitting humbly across the desk
from me, running sendmail 8.9.3/8.8.7 on RH6.0. It's logs do actually show
the receival of all messages at their respective times. On my linux
machine, /var/spool/mail is NFS mounted off the server, and Pine on my
machines fetches its mail from there. Somewhere in there Christian's ;)

Next chance I have I'll catch the mail (starting with this one) before
pine pulls it over NFS and see what else I can find. Meantime, has anybody
experienced this ever with Sendmail or Pine? Could I have dodgy HDs
somewhere, or does NFS play mind games occasionally (personality issues?)?

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham