[plug] Seagate Travan drives, possibly Seagates worst product?

Kevin Shackleton kevins at wn.com.au
Mon Feb 12 20:54:04 WST 2001

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I am seeking input on Seagate Travan drives.
>
> What are the experiences out there?

There was a recent (short) thread where I said you are wasting your time
with Travan drives.  I don't know if they're made badly but they
certainly suck dust badly and die early.

I've had DDS2 and DDS3 drives which have been fairly good (2 dead tapes
in 20) but they're awfully expensive.

I'm quite happy with HDD-to-HDD backup as long as you can overcome
threat of fire and theft.  Like here - on a farm, I back up onto a
machine 100 m away in another building.  Doesn't get cheaper or faster.
What about hot-swappable drives - you could buy 2 SCSI drives for the
cost of a DDS tape drive.

K.