[plug] Seagate Travan drives, possibly Seagates worst product?

navarre at plug.linux.org.au navarre at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Feb 12 22:29:11 WST 2001

Hello Richard

Happily I can say it a number of years since I seriously played with tape
drives from a servicing point of view. I will readily agree that any form
of serpentine write tape drive mechanism is a poor choice of equipment.
There usefulness ranges from defective at birth to infant mortality. The
Seagate and other brands of tape drives called DDS[1-3] (one through
three ) QIC and the others all fall into this class of defective unit.
Also DLT is  serpentine write, single spooled, thus is all the tape is
unspooled from the cartridge one bust wait for the whole tape to be
rewound onto the removable spool before it can be withdrawn from the tape
drive. The drive is also 5 ¼ full height form factor.

If I recall correctly the DDS[4-5] units are really DAT drives in
different clothing.
Personally if I was to use magnetic tape I would use DAT or some other
form of helical scan writing method. The tapes are generally cheeper, the
drive does read after write as it steams, and the general reliability of
the unit puts it the class of dependable.

For a reliable backup I would use a second hard drive, in another
computer would be best. For archiving I would look to the new DVD RAM or
ROM technology.

Navarre