[plug] PIF Virus

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Tue Feb 13 08:33:41 WST 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 10:02:04PM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Hah,
> someone on a list my wife monitors just sent a virus attached as a pif
> file masquerading as a word document (MTX worm according to a search I
> did, a real nasty beastie).  The amusing thing is strings shows what
> appears to be a number of alternative names for the next repetition of
> spreading the infection, one of which is "IS_LINUX_GOOD_ENOUGH!.TXT.pif"

This just got onto my Dad and Sister's Windows 9x boxes.  You're right
that it is a real nasty bit of work.  For those who don't know it is
mostly benign... except if you try to get rid of it!  If you go to the
web site of a known anti-virus vendor then it will crash Netscape!  Of
course, Netscape crashing by itself is no guarantee that you have the
virus...