[plug] Linux and children

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Feb 13 13:09:21 WST 2001

Christian wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 06:25:33PM +0800, David Griffiths wrote:
>> You touched on some good points there Bill. One of the things that you made
>> me think of too is that the suitability of linux probably varies with age
>> to some extent. My kids _really_ struggled getting a password in correctly
>> at age 6 (due to lack of keyboard skills) for example, but now do it

> One solution to this would be to have no password on the account and
> disallowing remote logins to that account (or to the machine entirely).

Or if the machine is dedicated to the child, log them in automatically
on powerup, and rely on physical security.

I recently found a USB mouse, suitable for tiny hands, at OfficeWorks.
The brand name is Swann and they come in iMac-translucent or black. I
got a translucent one so I could put LEDs in it later.

--
"Conservatives believe it when they see it. Liberals see it when
  they believe it." -- Rep. Dick Armey