[plug] compiling kernels with rh7

Gavin Corfield gavin at twobluedots.com.au
Wed Feb 14 15:36:13 WST 2001

"Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima" wrote:

> The latest kernels 2.2.19preX and 2.4.X They will automagically find kgcc and
> use it.  If you need/want to use an older kernel

I think so I want a kernel that will work with win4lin or vmware, 2.2.16
appears to have issues with both so am attempting to build 2.2.17 with
patches.

then you need to edit both
> the "HOSTCC" and "CC" definitions in main Makefile.

now have:

HOSTCC = kgcc

but for CC, primary reference seems to be in code block:

CROSS_COMPILE   =

AS      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)as
LD      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)ld
CC      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)cc -D__KERNEL__ -I$(HPATH)
CPP     =$(CC) -E
AR      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)ar
NM      =$(CROSS_COMPILE)nm
STRIP   =$(CROSS_COMPILE)strip
OBJCOPY =$(CROSS_COMPILE)objcopy
OBJDUMP =$(CROSS_COMPILE)objdump
MAKE    =make
GENKSYMS=/sbin/genksyms

and I don't see what I need to change this to