[plug] Getting RedHat to connect to the internet (newbie question)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Feb 14 17:32:32 WST 2001

Josh,

> Feb 14 16:13:16 localhost kernel: Process pppd (pid: 783, process nr: 52,
> stackpage=c15a5000)
> Feb 14 16:13:16 localhost kernel: Process pppd (pid: 783, process nr: 52,
> stackpage=c15a5000)

Some log files might have some extra details. /var/log/debug or
/var/log/ppp/* or /var/log/ppp.* might contain some more details. I'm not
entirely sure about where in RH7. `grep -ri pppd .` from /var/log? Usually
there's some more info about why pppd was killed.

A few weeks back I had a somewhat similar problem with iiNet and it was
just temporary authentication issues at their end. Do there need to be
passwords in either /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or passed on the command line to
pppd? I've never used wvdial so I'm not sure how wvdial interfaces to
pppd, sorry I can't be more specific!

> I'm using a dodgy lucent winmodem which i seem to have setup correctly.

Really? I tried to get one of these working a while back with little
success beyond off hook and on hook. Might try again soon with this
inspiration :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--