[plug] X Windows Desktop Environment

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Sat Feb 17 18:54:29 WST 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Matthew wrote:

> I am after suggestions on what is a good Desktop environment to use
> under X Windows.  At the moment I am using WM which seems pretty good,
> but hey there must be something better out there.

That depends on what you want out of your window maker :)
All I want my window maker to do is to provide several virtual screens,
allow easy access to each of them, and allow me to create menus with my
most often run applications. If it does anything else it gets in my way.
Hence I use fvwm.  What you want your window manager to do is up to you.

> Also any suggestions for a good X Windows Client that can run under Win
> NT.  I currently use Xceed seems to do the job, but it is a tad expensive.

If you just want to be able to run X applications on your nearest *nix
server, VNC may do exactly what you want.  It allows you to run a virtual
X server under *nix which you can then connect to and view/control from
windows, as well as just about any other O/S on the planet.  You can also
use it to export your Windows desktop to be viewed under almost any OS.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

 - Matt