[plug] triple boot and mount point

Matt Kemner zombie at wasp.net.au
Mon Feb 19 23:40:53 WST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Ari Finander wrote:

> When I was
> playing around with RH7's installation program last night, I tried to
> partition the remaining 5GB as a linux native partition with Disk
> Druid.  However, it wouldn't accept the mount point as / because that
> was already in use by the existing Red Hat installation.

So don't use disk druid.  Partitioning a disk, and deciding where to mount
them are 2 seperate phases, which disk druid has combined in one program -
which causes problems when you want to do things differently, as you've
found out.

>  I'm worried
> that when I try to install Debian 2.2r2 next week that it'll give me
> the same problems in creating a new partition with the mount point as
> / because there's already a partition with a mount point as /.

Debian won't care. Debian by default uses cfdisk to set up the partitions,
and then asks you which you want to mount as /

When you go through the installation, Debian will ask for a swap partition
first, and will notice you already have one and offer it as a default - so
you just hit enter on that.. Then when you are partitioning, create a
partition in the empty space, and then when Debian asks you which
partition you would like as / it will give you two options - both the
RedHat one and the Debian one (except it will just list them as /dev/hda1
and /dev/hda4 - or whatever) so you just pick the Debian one and off it
goes.

It then even gives you the option of "Mount an existing partition" and you
can tell it to mount the Red Hat partition and add it to fstab for you,
but you are better off leaving that until the install is finished and
adding it manually.

 - Matt