[plug] Wine and patches

Dennis Plester dennisp at tiwest.com.au
Wed Feb 21 14:46:19 WST 2001

List,

After recent discussions regarding Half-Life and the like in Linux, I
attempted to get one of the more recent wine releases, and apply the
transgaming patch. The transgaming site has patches for wine via CVS and as
a diff file to be applied to the 20010112 wine source snapshot. As I know
very little about CVS, and my Linux box does not presently have a direct
connection to the 'net, I downloaded the 20010112 snapshot from winehq, the
patch diff file from transgaming.com and transferred them across to my
machine. (Running Mandrake 7.2)

When I attempted to apply the patch, using patch <../patch.diff (my best
guess at the appropriate syntax), it would patch 3 files before getting
stuck because it couldn't find a particular file. I tried the man patch
thing, but it didn't offer me much help. I ran out of time, so I didn't
proceed further, but I suspect that if I look at the wine source directory
structure a little closer, I will probably be able to find the file in
question. In the meantime though, has someone else out there got the patches
up and running, and if so, how did you go about it?

An rpm package that had all the patches rolled in would be nice, but I
couldn't find one that clearly stated their inclusion with OpenGL support
enabled, which is a must have for a first person shooter like myself.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis.