[plug] Bad blocks in Swap

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Fri Feb 23 09:37:36 WST 2001

G'day all
I have had an intermittent problem for a while on my gateway/proxy
box, where squid seems to lock up. No abnormal log messages, but just
accepts connections, and sits idle.

By chance, it seemed that this coincided with some nasty hda errors in
the syslog. So I did a swapoff and ran badblocks on my swap partition,
to find about 6 bad blocks, pretty early on in the file.
mkswap -c fixed that. But I'm wondering if that could have caused my squid
problems. I came in this morning to find squid locked up again, but I did
not re-start it yesterday after fixing the bad blocks, so I guess it could
have had a corrupt page somewhere waiting to freeze it up..

when I used an /etc/init.d/squid stop
it failed to halt squid, I had to kill it with a killall -TERM squid, so
something was nicely frozen..
Running Debian potato, squid 2.2.5-3 straight from Debian..
It locks up every couple of weeks..
The box also runs samba, and serves files/printers, plus does all the
net masq work. squid is the only thing that causes trouble..

Interesting to see if it continues now..
Anyone had any problems like this in the past ?

--
Brad....
                   /"\