[plug] Problems with kpilot

Christian christian at amnet.net.au
Fri Feb 23 11:08:04 WST 2001

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:05:30PM +1000, Phillip Steege wrote:
> I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get my PalmPilot connected up to my
> mdk7.2 distro.
> I tried using kpilot and am having problems with the compile.
> when I do the ./configure it says I am missing some files, but they seem to
> be there.

Have you perhaps tried the pre-compiled package? (Assuming the distro
provides one.)  Might be easier.

> checking for the third argument of getsockname... size_t
> checking for socket in -lsocket... no
> checking for killpg in -lucb... no
> checking for QT... configure: error: QT-1.4 or greater (headers and
> libraries) not found. Please check your installation!
> [root at localhost kpilot]# rpm -qa|grep qt
> qt2-2.2.1-3mdk
> qt-1.44-28mdk
> qtcups-1.0-14mdk
> qt-qgl-1.44-28mdk
> qt-qimgio-1.44-28mdk
> qt2-devel-2.2.1-3mdk
> [root at localhost kpilot]#

My guess (and I don't use QT/KDE/kpilot at all so this is just a stab in the
dark) is that you might the dev (or "devel", whatever) package for qt1
which seems to be what kpilot is looking for.  Although you have the
QT2 header files ("devel" package), perhaps kpilot requires QT1?

> I tried jpilot also, but the hotsync operation keeps dying half way through,
> and I was only syncing at 9600 baud.

Since jpilot uses the pilot-link tools to do the transfer then the
problem most likely lies with that.  Make sure you've got pilot-link
installed.  I think kpilot uses pilot-link also so you'll probably have
the same trouble with that.  You might want to test whether you can sync
at all using pilot-xfer separate:

pilot-xfer -b <some_backup_dir>

where <some_backup_dir> is where you want the files from your palm to be
backed up to.

Regards,

Christian.